Saturday, June 6, 2009

4/18/09 - Yard Sale for Malawi

Nick is going to Malawi, Africa this summer with the Youth Group from Northside. He leaves on July 22nd and he'll be gone for 2 weeks. They are planning on helping out at an orphanage a few days. They will also run the church services on the weekends in a village, among other things. Nick has to raise the money to go, and so we decided one thing we could do was have a yard sale.

I stopped parking my truck in the garage a few days before, and we began gathering all the yard sale fodder in my parking space. By Friday night, Tracy couldn't park her car in the garage either. I was surprised at how much fodder we gathered. We just had a yard sale a year or two ago, how do we accumulate all this stuff?



We got up at a little after 5:00 AM, and began moving the fodder to the driveway. It was only 5:30, and still dark when the shoppers began to arrive. One lady had a flashlight she used to get a good look at the fodder in the dark (she was obviously a professional yard-saler).



Another couple from Northside brought over their fodder to see how much money they could raise for Malawi too. The husband (John) is also going to Malawi this summer with the Youth Group. There was an ad in the paper for the yard sale, so we had a pretty good turn-out.



At around 1:00, Nick and I delivered an old exercise bike to an older lady who wanted it, but didn't have a way to get it home. She was trilled to get it, and even more thrilled that Nick was going to Malawi this summer. It's weird, I'm not a people person, I'd rather get together with two friends than go to a party, but I kind of enjoy doing yard sales. There are some very interesting people that come by, and there are interesting conversations that are shared as the shoppers look through my old junk. It was hard work, but it was fun. Nick raised about $275 for Malawi!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea Nick was going to Malawi!! I was reading the Wandering Woodring newsletter this morning and this was how I found out. I immediately came here to make sure I hadn't read things incorrectly. Apparently I did not. I'm glad the yard sale was such a success!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete