Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Climbing Mt. Lyell in 1958

My Dad made an attempt on Mt. Lyell back in 1958 (he was 21), and today he sent me a couple of pictures from that trip. Here's what he said -

"I thought you might enjoy this picture scanned from a slide. The person waving the hat is your old dad on his way up the Lyell Glacier headed for the top. As you know, I (nor the girl in the photo) made it to the summit because of the crevasse at the top of the glacier and the steepness of the rock above it. We did, however, make it to the saddle between Lyell and McClure. The year was probably 1958, and I bet the glacier has retreated a great deal since then.."




"If memory serves me, this photo was taken at the upper base camp, and Mt. Lyell is in the upper right hand corner."


One of the cool parts about this is, a long time ago (I was probably around 21), my friend Scott and I hiked through the Lyell canyon and climbed Mt. Donohue which is just Northeast of Mt. Lyell. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment