Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Blogger's Apprentice

I discovered today that I'm still just a 'blogger-in-training'. I had to go for milk on the way home from work. As I left the store, I noticed a lot of smoke coming up from behind the store, so I drove that way home to do a little rubber-necking. To my amazement, I saw a big group of bushes next to Bullard avenue (across the street from College Church of Christ), totally engulfed in flames! An area about 10 feet wide and 25 feet long was at peak burn, with flames shooting 40 feet into the air! There were power lines directly above, and they were on fire too! My first thought was, "maybe I shouldn't be driving right next to this?" Then I wondered if some transformer on a power pole would explode soon. So I called home and warned everyone to, "turn off the computers for Pete's sake, the neighborhood power grid is about to explode!" Once I got home, I hit myself on the forehead like one of those V8 commercials and said, "why didn't I stop (a safe distance away), get out and capture some exciting blog-worthy video!?" I mean, that's why I carry a PDA-Video-Phone around with me everywhere I go, right? So it's obvious that I'm still green at this blogging thing. You should be watching some fantastic fire-devastation PDAPhone video right now, but instead you're just going to have to use your imagination. Here - This might help -

1 comment:

  1. Um. Yikes.

    I didn't know about the fire. We have had a LOT of arson problems in the last year at College. Three times, fires have been lit on the church grounds. Once, the perpetrator piled trash against an outer wall and set it aflame. We took a lot of damage one that one, including an entire room that was gutted.

    There have also been fires on the grounds and just off them. We think we know who it is, but haven't caught him. I wonder if the little pyro wandered across the street and set the bushes on fire.

    ReplyDelete