Sunday, January 4, 2009

Windows Mobile 6.1 Upgrade

I upgraded the ROM on my PDAPhone today to Windows Mobile 6.1. Sounds simple enough - huh? Not so much. It's like formatting your hard drive - everything gets wiped! Everything (including a few seemingly insignificant settings) had to be backed-up, or written down so I could get hooked back-up afterwards. I have reinstalled almost all my important applications, it's surprising to think about all the things I do with my phone.

I counted and there are 9 different programs I use on a regular basis. Here's the ones I use the most - Internet Explorer (a 'Mobile' browser), Opera (a full Internet Browser), eWallet (a password 'vault'), Google Maps (which takes advantage of the built-in GPS and includes Street View), Pocket Bible (I always have multiple versions of the Bible with me wherever I go), Windows Media Player (with an 8GB memory card, I've got music)!!

This was supposed to fix a couple of things. The only problem I've experienced is the fact that, occasionally, I have to turn off the data connection and turn it back on again to get Internet Explorer to connect. We'll see if that goes away, or not.

6 comments:

  1. Dang, I am still running Windows Mobile 5. My phone is 3 years old now but if I buy a new smart phone, Verizon will make me buy the whole web/mail package.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bro, I am planning to buy Samsung Omnia only if it has support fot Bible softwares.
    Samsung Omnia has Windows Mobile 6.1.
    So, do I get the Bible Software implicitly? Or do I need to purchase it somewhere explicitly?
    If I need to purchase it! Then is the Bible software that you use a freeware?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will need to purchase the Bible software separately. I purchased 'PocketBible' from Laridian. Their web address is - http://www.laridian.com

    There may be other Bible programs for Windows Mobile 6.1 that are free - check this web site - http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bro. Swan Man,
    A very silly question, (but I am planning to buy a WinMo (Omnia i900 preferably) and my concern is...)
    If I buy the PocketBible from Laridian, do we also get installable executable? so that when I soft-reset my phone or format the memory card I can re-install the already purchased PocketBible' again.
    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you'll be able to download the installation executable, and use it repeatedly if necessary. You'll also get install files for the different bible versions and for other books/devotionals/dictionaries/commentaries/etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks a lot for ur answers, they mean a lot to me.
    God bless you

    ReplyDelete